Health, Wellness, and My Weight Loss Journey

Fitness trainer helping a client with weightlifting at a gym. © / Adobe Stock

Many of us are looking for safe and healthy ways to drop a few pounds. Even though I made wellness and fitness a priority in my twenties and thirties, I lost my way during my forties. My career became more demanding and my everyday life activities took priority over a trip to the gym. The fact that my academic career required 60-70(+) hours a week to keep up with the workload did not help my situation. That’s when I began to put on weight.

Most medical experts would agree that higher body masses are associated with increased risk for hypertension, coronary disease, and diabetes. Over a period of time, I realized I was heading in the wrong direction.

Six months ago, I finally began to address my metabolic, hormonal, and lifestyle obstacles. At the same time, I started to focus on specific behavioral changes to improve my overall health outcomes. In other words, I got serious about my fitness goals again–but this time in my fifties. And I ended up losing 52 lbs. over five months.

In this article, my aim is to share some research-based tips on how I lost the weight and built muscle, which allowed me to look and feel dramatically better.

Testosterone / Vitamin D / Thyroid Levels / Blood Glucose

Our bodies are constantly communicating with us. These physiological messages are unique for each person. As we age, we may begin to notice some subtle changes. For example, have you noticed any of the following symptoms:

• a decrease in energy level (fatigue)
  • a lower libido
  • an increase in body fat
  • a change in mood and sleeping patterns
  • an increase in muscle aches and pains

If so, you should have a conversation with your PCP and ask for a routine physical examination with bloodwork. Although many of these symptoms are nonspecific and variable, you might begin asking for at least four tests in particular.

1. Have your testosterone (T) levels tested.

It is important for men and women to know their testosterone levels. An abnormally low level of this hormone can dramatically affect your mental and physical health. In fact, research has revealed that low T in men is associated with obesity, superseding the effects of age and comorbidities (Eriksson, Haring, Grarup, Vandenput, Wallaschofski, & Lorentzen et al., 2017).

If you have low T, you may benefit from supplementation. Once your testosterone level is optimized, you may find that it will be a game-changer for your quality of life. At this point, you may finally have the energy to begin your workout program.

1. Check your vitamin D level.

Vitamin D deficiency is very common, and it is not unusual for people to not know they are deficient. It is important for a healthy immune system and can help with a host of other health concerns. Most of all, it is an easy fixed through diet, supplementation, or exposure to more sun.

1. Get your blood glucose levels checked.

If you have too little or too much glucose (blood sugar) in your blood, it can be a sign of a pressing medical condition.

According to Harvard Health Publishing (2014) “having prediabetes doesn’t mean you’ll get diabetes. You can lower your blood sugar—and your risk of diabetes—by exercising, losing weight, and cutting back on refined grains and added sugars” (para. 6).

1. While you are at it, get your thyroid examined.

Cooperberg (2017) explained that ” thyroid hormone plays a major role in how our bodies function, and an imbalance in this hormone can impact your energy level, weight, metabolism, heart rate, bowels, mood, cholesterol levels, bones, women’s menstrual cycles, and more” (as cited in Penn Medicine: Health & Wellness, 2017, para. 2).

In sum, you may not be able to lose your weight because of a medical condition. So, speak with your doctor first before you start a fitness regimen.

Cardio / Resistance Training / Flexibility

As you already know, cardio workouts are helpful for speeding up your metabolism and aiding in weight loss. I enjoy working out on an elliptical machine, and I try to use this machine for around 30 minutes 5-6 days a week. I get an excellent aerobic workout, which strengthens my heart, lungs, and muscles.

As we age, resistance training becomes even more important. I’m not a stranger to weightlifting; however, my goals are different now compared to when I was powerlifting at the gym in my thirties. Overall, I enjoy weightlifting over aerobic activities. Because my goals are to shed weight and build muscle, I incorporate both activities. Whatever you choose, find something that motivates you. And don’t be afraid to mixed up your routine, so your body doesn’t get used to the same physical activities.

Next, for those of us who are 40 (+), flexibility becomes even more important. The importance of stretching exercises cannot be overstated.

Sleep 

Most people understand the importance of a good night’s sleep. But the reality is that many Americans are sleep deprived (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2016). Sleep is crucial for restoring brain function, muscle recovery and growth, especially as you embark on a new fitness program. Poor-quality sleep can negatively impact human growth hormone levels. And growth hormone is essential for athletic recovery.

Bottom line: I focus on creating a proper sleeping environment, so I don’t sabotage my own fitness goals.

Dietary Changes

Many of my close friends and colleagues know that I am a vegetarian. I choose to eat a vegetarian diet for ethical, environmental, and health reasons. And most of us realize that just because you are a vegetarian or vegan doesn’t mean you are healthy.

That said, I re-examined and tightened my diet. For example, I minimize my intake of processed foods. In addition, I limit or mostly avoid white flour, corn syrup, sugar and high-fructose corn syrup, candy bars, rice, French fries, white bagels, pasta, breads, baked goods, potato chips, pretzels, crackers, and most cereals. Trust me: I’m far from perfect when it comes to avoiding these foods, but I am more conscious of it and demonstrate more self-control.

Plus, I do not drink dairy milk because of its likely pro-inflammatory effects. Despite the conflicting research findings on cow’s milk, I prefer almond milk as an alternative. Since many adults can’t digest milk, trial and error will help you determine if dairy should be removed from your diet.

Finally, I ensure plenty of plant-based protein to trigger satiety. This approach helps fight unwanted weight gain and carbohydrate binging.

Intermittent Fasting / Meal Timing

Intermittent fasting (IF) is my magic bullet. There are different ways to engage in IF. Unlike what you may have heard, IF is not a fad. Fasting has been going on for centuries. To learn more about IF, check out Dr. Jason Fung’s work. A nephrologist and expert in the use of IF, Dr. Fung argues that fasting can be used as a therapeutic option for losing weight and for improving your biomarkers. But always speak to your health care provider to make certain you are a candidate for IF.

After my period of eating, I do not snack like I used to do. But I drink plenty of water. I even add apple cider vinegar to my water to help curb my appetite and to help with my weight loss. Even if you are fasting, adding apple cider vinegar to your water will not break your fast, according to the latest research.

Finally, I dropped fruit drinks and soft drinks. It was somewhat difficult to ween myself off of Dr. Pepper, but I managed to do it. Additionally, I do not drink alcohol. It contains lots of empty calories and lacks nutritional value. As you might suspect, drinking alcoholic beverages is not ideal if you are trying to lose weight. Fortunately, this was never an issue for me.

Additional Tips

In addition, I supplement with vitamin D3, B12, omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, vegan protein powder, and spirulina.

If you are unfamiliar with the health benefits of organic spirulina, I encourage you to investigate this blue-green alga. It’s an excellent source of protein and vitamin supplement that exhibits anti-inflammatory properties (Karkos, Leong, Karkos, Sivaji, & Assimakopoulos, 2011).

Closing Thoughts

I learned a lot from my physical transformation. Unsurprisingly, there was a psychological component to this process, too. Although it wasn’t that difficult for me to create this change once I got started, it took discipline and a deep desire to become fit again.

Do I splurge on my favorite meal on occasion? You bet! I love spinach and cheese enchiladas with a side of Spanish rice and refried beans. Let’s face reality. We all have to live life and shouldn’t deprive ourselves from our favorite foods. But when I have a cheat meal, I now get back on track the next day.

If my weight loss journey inspires you to create a positive change in your life, please let me know about your progress.

Here’s to your health and Mexican food, of course!

****

About the Author

Dean Colston, Ph.D., M.A., is a health/medical writer and senior technical editor. He is the founder and owner of The Colston Advantage where he offers technical and scientific communication services. Dean is passionate about creating patient education materials and consumer health content. His core medical writing areas of interest include psychiatry, ophthalmology, and immunology/infectious diseases.

Earlier in his career, he served as a mental health counselor, continuous quality improvement specialist, university professor, department chair, and dean of faculty. Currently, Dean is serving on the Governor’s Council on Blindness and Visual Impairment (GCBVI) and the Central Arizona Council of the Blind. He is an associate of the Cheeky Scientist Association’s medical writing organization. He is also a professional member of the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA).

References

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2016). 1 in 3 adults don’t get enough sleep. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/p0215-enough-sleep.html

Eriksson, J., Haring, R., Grarup, N., Vandenput, L., Wallaschofski, H., Lorentzen, E., et al. (2017). Causal relationship between obesity and serum testosterone status in men: A bi-directional mendelian randomization analysis. PLOS ONE 12(4): e0176277. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0176277

Harvard Health Publishing. (2014, October). How often should you get your blood sugar checked? Retrieved from https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/how-often-should-you-get-your-blood-sugar-checked-

Karkos, P. D., Leong, S. C., Karkos, C. D., Sivaji, N., & Assimakopoulos, D. A. (2011). Spirulina in clinical practice: Evidence-based human applications. Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine: eCAM, 531053. doi:10.1093/ecam/nen058

Penn Medicine: Health & Wellness. (2017). 6 Signs That You Need to Have Your Thyroid Checked. Retrieved from https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/health-and-wellness/2017/august/thyroid