Teaching Philosophy

Free Image. University of Missouri-Columbia Memorial Union. WebSource: Wikimedia Commons through Google Advanced Image Search.

Encouraging the heart and enabling others to critically think and act are typical methods that I strive to embrace in my face-to-face, hybrid, and online classrooms. I believe that meaningful, sustained learning is a whole person phenomenon whereby emotions and reason are interconnected in that process. In fact, I feel that human emotions are a major force in learning.

Through a more holistic and integrative approach to education where academic advising is integral to that process, I believe that a liberal arts education is an ideal way to teach students to think for themselves by providing an intellectual panorama of the world. By showing the connection of various disciplines and philosophies, I feel that students are better prepared for life since the world becomes more understandable and meaningful.

Understanding Learning Styles

Many educators would agree that one element of engaging in effective classroom dynamics requires college instructors to understand how each student learns best. Each of us has a preferred learning style, an approach that can be visual, auditory, or tactile/kinesthetic in nature. These learning styles are not viewed as good or bad; rather they give us an idea of how individuals use their preferred channels of perception.

Implementing a Multifaceted Educational Approach

I have deepened and enhanced my educational philosophy by implementing practical strategies and integrating technology, emotional intelligence, multiple intelligences, and brain-based learning concepts into my classrooms. I also often create a collaborative problem-solving and constructivist learning environment, which I believe allows the learner to meaningfully interact with the academic material.

However, I utilize other instructional design theories and methods when the learning activity calls for a more suitable approach. By implementing a multifaceted educational approach, I feel that this will not only improve classroom dynamics and student learning, but it will help develop learners so that they can have better interpersonal relationships, stronger mental health concepts, and greater academic and career success in their communities.

A Learner-Focused Environment

In many higher education institutions, I believe that a unique perspective of education is being realized as the focus changes from teaching to learning; thus, a learner-focused environment is emerging into the scene. In other words, I think that the educator and learner become equally important in the educational process. One might interpret this notion as a movement from a top-down model of education to an interactive one.

I would still argue that the role of the college teacher is that of a role model, but it is transforming to that of a facilitator, which will help support learner self-direction and autonomy. As a result, one of my goals is to help my students learn how to learn. Ultimately, I strive to create emotionally intelligent and democratic learning environments, which empower my learners to be navigators of their own learning path.

Diversity and Divergent Thinking

I am passionate about diversity in my classrooms. I believe this concept is very important and applicable because it is about creating a safe learning environment where everyone feels accepted and valued. Because I feel that everyone has value, I encourage and support divergent thinking and multiple perspectives. In addition, I strive to create accessible classrooms so students of all abilities and backgrounds can succeed. As a college educator, I feel it is crucial to effectively manage diversity so that individuals are allowed to perform up to their maximum potential.

Openness and Trust

Finally, I feel that an authentic college instructor is a person who appears as he or she appears to be. And this requires a degree of openness. Educators have to be willing to reveal something of themselves in this role. As a result, this will increase learners’ trust levels. In fact, I believe that the number one quality that authentic educators convey is honesty/integrity in communication and personal interactions. Words such as honesty, ethics, fairness, candor, sincerity, trustworthiness, and truthfulness frame this concept. I believe these are qualities that must be communicated through what one says and does.

Building a Caring Learning Community

Ultimately, I feel it is equally important that my role as a college instructor is to build a caring community of diverse learners by creating supportive and authentic human relationships, building ownership and reflection, encouraging learner internal motivation, and highlighting intellectual development.

Dean Colston, Ph.D., M.A.